Ofer Inbar wrote:
Baron Schwartz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
What version of MySQL are you running on each machine?

Sorry, I should've included this information.  Both of them are
running 5.0.24, installed from exactly the same .rpm file.  I wanted
to avoid any issues related to different MySQL versions during this
transition.

The statement might have failed because the user already existed,

You can see that was my first guess too.  That's why I tried removing
the user from mysql.user and starting the slave threads again, as I
described.  Unless it was trying to create the same user twice, that
should've fixed it (if this was the cause), but it didn't seem to.

Have you tried creating another user, which you know does not exist and never
has?

Removing the user from mysql.user table with DELETE is not a really clean way to do it, if that's what you did. You are better off using DROP USER. Even after you removed the user, unless you ran FLUSH PRIVILEGES, it was still cached in memory. The built-in commands like DROP USER, GRANT, REVOKE etc will flush the in-memory caches. The user and privilege data is cached in memory because it is accessed constantly and must be very fast.

I don't know if this would have caused the problem, but I'm curious to see if you can create a different user.

Regards
Baron