>I know about "SHOW COLUMNS FROM tabname", but am looking for something
>more SQL-y, because I want to use the results as part of a larger SQL
>statement. For example, I want to find all the tables in a given db
>that don't have a column named 'timestamp'.

>I thought the 'mysql' system db may have this info, but it doesn't seem to.

In 5.0 & later MySQL implements the ISO SQL spec for information_schema, which does that.

PB

-----

Kelly Jones wrote:
In PostgreSQL, the following SELECT statement will return all the
columns for 'tabname':

SELECT x.attname FROM pg_attribute x, pg_class y WHERE
x.attrelid=y.oid AND relname='tabname';

Does MySQL have anything similar?