From: "Sid Lane" < [EMAIL PROTECTED] >
To: mysql@lists.mysql.com
Sent: Monday, July 23, 2007 1:44:53 PM (GMT-0500) America/New_York
Subject: performance of extended insert vs. load data

all,

I need to migrate ~12GB of data from an Oracle 10 database to a MySQL
5.0one in as short a window as practically possible (throw tablespace
in r/o,
migrate data & repoint web servers - every minute counts).

the two approaches I am considering are:

1. write a program that outputs the Oracle data to a fifo pipe (mknod) and
running a "load data infile" against it

2. write a program that dynamically builds extended insert statements up to
length of max_allowed_packet (similar to mysqldump -e)

is either one significantly faster than the other? I know I could benchmark
it but I was hoping someone could save me writing #2 to find out if it's not
the way to go...

are there additional (faster) approaches I have not thought of?

FWIW these are 95% innodb (5% myisam are static reference tables & can be
done in advance).

thanks!

--
B. Keith Murphy