On Tue, Jul 24, 2007 at 02:18:21AM +0200, Mogens Melander wrote:

> On Mon, July 23, 2007 10:19, Carlo Sogono wrote:
> > Is there a way for mysql to login as an administrator and "su" to a
> > normal user?
> >
> > What I'd like to achieve is a way to log in to our clients' accounts (we
> > are a web-hosting company) without having to use their passwords. Having
> > to su keeps ownerships and stuff like that in check.
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Carlo
>
> ??? I'm having a hard time imagine what you want to do with that ???
>
> You, being the administrator (root), you should be able to do whatever,
> on any DB on your server, without being recognzied as anybody.
>
> Please elaborate.

It wasn't my question, but I imagine this would be useful when you
want to verify that you have set up their permissions correctly.

E.g., a user says, "I tried to do X but it wouldn't let me," and you
go in as them, repeat the problem behavior, fix it, test your fix, and
let them know it is fixed.

(Or, similarly, verify for yourself that their user is unable to do
things you don't want them to do.)

--Pete