Baron Schwartz wrote on Thu, Sep 20, 2007 at 07:46:44PM -0400:
> Michael explained it well, but just to say it a different way, the
> temporary table is created as an intermediate step in the table, and is
> implicit, not explicit.  So it's not "sent" to the slave -- the query is
> sent to the slave, and if the query optimizer makes the same decisions
> on the slave that it did on the master, the slave will also create a
> temporary table during query processing.

i should have been more clear. what i meant is that the create temporary
table query is sent to the slave, and the table is created on the
slave. this much i know from slaves dying then not restarting due to
the missing temporary table. my current problem is my slaves are
creating myisam temporary tables on disk and alot of them. which
eventualy results in mysqld no longer being able to open any files
with

ERROR: 1  Can't create/write to file '/sql/tmp/#sql17fb_2f_0.frm'
(Errcode: 24)
070919 11:06:41  Slave: Error 'Can't create/write to file
'/sql/tmp/#sql17fb_2f_0.frm' (Errcode: 24)' on query 'CREATE TEMPORARY
TABLE aggregate (

along with messages like

070919 22:04:03  Error in accept: Too many open files

what brought this all on was a switch to new hardware(completely new
server) for the master.  kept the same version of mysql on the new
hardware, slaves didn't change at all, other then resetting up
replication from scratch with the data snapshot from the current
master after hardware swap. this didn't happen on the slaves prior to
the hardware swap.

i don't understand why the temp tables are being written to disk now,
when they weren't in the past.

> Michael Dykman wrote:
> >Temporary tables only exist for the length of time that the connection
> >that created them remains connected and are only visible to that
> >connection.  There is no reason to replicate these to a slave at all,
> >as no client connecting to that slave would ever be able to see them.
> >
> > - michael dykman
> >

> >On 9/20/07, Chris Scheller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>according to
> >>http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/internal-temporary-tables.html
> >>temporary tables can sometimes be written to disk as myisam. in
> >>replication are these myisam temp tables sent to the slaves as myisam
> >>tables or in memory tables?
> >>

> >>--

| Chris Scheller | http://www.pobox.com/~schelcj | JID: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |
| "Ubuntu"   -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me"      |
| "Mandriva" -- a French word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me"        |
| "Fedora"   -- an American word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me"     |
|                        -- seen on alt.os.linux.slackware                   |
  "There was a boy called Eustace Clarence Scrubb, and he almost deserved
it."
                -- C. S. Lewis, The Chronicles of Narnia