Everyone,

So I have never seen this before. I set up a database yesterday. I added a user
today in the normal manner..

ie

grant usage on *.* to 'username'@'%' identified by 'password';

Here is the thing. You exit the console and try to log in with mysql -u
username -ppassword and it won't let you in...

BUT it log in with both "mysql -u username" and also "mysql -u username -p (hit
enter key)". So the user account works without a password.

executing the show grants command shows a password so this shouldn't work.
Never had this problem before and kind of hard to google for "mysql user login
without password but has password"..

show grants for 'user'@'%';
+----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

| Grants for [EMAIL PROTECTED] |

| GRANT USAGE ON *.* TO 'user'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY PASSWORD 'password_hash' |

There are other privileges for the appropriate databases but they really aren't
relevant.

thanks,

Keith

--