On 01 Jun 2001 00:30:20 -0400, David Freeman wrote:

> My question is, what is the best OS for a heavy usage, multi-processor
> mysql database driven web site.  We could use almost anything, but we
> would prefer to use a free OS such as freebsd or Linux based OS.

Some people reported better performance for MySQL on Linux than on
Solaris, using the same hardware (Sparc).
While i don't think there's much difference between Linux and FreeBSD, i
would expect Linux-2.4 to handle SMP and threads a little bit better
than FreeBSD. But this is close to religious war...

I would reccomend Linux with kernel 2.4.

You should use a journalised filesystem, of course.
Now, while ReiserFS does better when it comes to handling lots of small
files, XFS is better at ensuring high I/O rates, especially for
simultaneous access to large files in heavy-loaded SMP environments,
because that's what it was designed for.
So, it's better suited for databases, such as MySQL.

XFS-1.0 is already available for Linux (kernel 2.4), and it's fully
stable. You can download it from here:

http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/

Or, if you prefer, get an ISO image containing a modified Red Hat 7.1
kit, able to install itself directly on XFS, from here:

http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/1.0_installer.html

--
Florin Andrei