So I can relate a little personal knowledge about this. In July of last year I had someone approach me and ask how they could get a job as a DBA. After talking for a bit, it turned out that he had no database experience. He actually use to be a lawyer and decided to make a change. I told him to set up a database on a Linux computer and start playing around with it. The next month he said that he had done so. What next? Well, MySQL AB had just released the CMA exam. As Baron mentioned, it makes a great baseline to show your knowledge when you approach companies. I told him to start studying for the test using the MySQL Certification book (a subset of it covers the exam material). We met twice over the next few months to study a bit and then in December he took the test and passed it.

Monday he actually started as our part time junior DBA. Is he making a lot of money? Nope. But, it is a good chance for him to get experience in a rapidly growing production environment and in another nine months or a year he *will *be able to get a decent job. So can you do it? Sure. Do you need a college degree? Not really. He certainly had one, but it had nothing to do with databases. What does it take? Desire, work and reasonable intelligence. That's all. I doubt you will make much at your first job, but learn from the experience and do everything you can to learn more. Once you get done with the CMA start working on the CMDBA exams. Unlike some other cert programs these aren't fluff. I am not sure of the statistics listed on MySQL's website, but there just aren't that many certified DBAs.

And you won't find many jobs listed as "jr dba". Don't sweat that. Approach companies that already have dbas and tell them you want a chance to learn. Show them through the CMA that you are serious. Working for peanuts. If it were me, and I was just starting out, I would pick what company I wanted to work at and if they wouldn't hire me for eight or ten dollars an hour I would offer to work for free. Just remember it is only temporary.

Good luck.

Keith