A simple rsync should do the trick. How long will depend on how much data you have. I would just shut down the server, copy over the data directory and start the new server up. Should be a piece of cake.

Keith

David Ruggles wrote:
I have a MySQL 5.x box and I am thinking about moving it to another more
powerful server. I would be able to schedule some downtime so that's not an
issue. How complicated a process would this be? I don't want to upgrade the
software or anything, just move the existing tables, users and permissions
to another physical server. It would even have the same IP address.

Thanks,

David Ruggles
CCNA MCSE (NT) CNA A+
Network Engineer        Safe Data, Inc.