On Thursday 12 June 2008, Warren Young wrote:
> Tim Johnson wrote:
> >   Not sure what you mean by "directly usable".
>
> I mean "directly usable". :)
>
> >   If I do an insert statement with a backslash, for example:
> >   "headline\one", I will retrieve "headline\\one", and that will
> >   need to be unescaped, because it is not a true representation
> >   of what was submitted by the original insert.
>
> My perspective is a little different from yours: as the maintainer of
> MySQL++ (http://tangentsoft.net/mysql++/), I have never actually used
> the C API directly.  I don't have any pure C sample code here to tweak
> to try things.
 Me neither - not any more anyway, since I quit coding in C & C++ years ago..
 Furthermore, I am also working with a scripting language new to me.
 My experience is with python - where unescaping is _not_ an issue and
 rebol, where unescaping _is_ an issue. Python using the API (somewhere
 buried deep in the MySQLdb modules, and rebol using a direct socket
 connection on port 3306.

> Instead, I changed one of the MySQL++ examples to insert a string with a
> backslash into the DB, and on retrieving the rows, I get a single
> backslash.  In the C++ code, the backslash is doubled due to C/C++
> string parsing rules, but that's only one character in the underlying
> string data.  Due to the way this example uses MySQL++, that string gets
> automatically escaped on DB insertion, so I presume it's sent over the
> wire as two backslashes, though I haven't verified it.  Then when you
> retrieve rows through MySQL++, it returns a fairly direct copy of the
> data the C API gives you, with no real translation going on.
  I'm seeing the same that you are with the language (newlisp) that I am
  "playing" with.

> MySQL++ doesn't have an "unescape" function, so I don't see why your
> program would need one.
 I believe that you are correct. If not a single regex should handle it, and
be fairly fast.
Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it.
Best regards
tim(looking at MySQL++)