I had this problem the other day, and thought I would post this for the
archives.

Running MySQL 3.23.38 with apache 1.3.39 and PHP 4.05. the versions are
really
irrelevant. MySQL compiled fine, and the daemon was running fine on Linux
7.0. Or
it appeared to be. But when I tried to run mySQL from the command line, I
would get
this error: mySQL: error while loading shared libraries:
libmysqlclient.so.9: cannot
open shared object file: no such file or directory.

When I would do a "locate libmysqlclient.so", I could see there was a
mysqlclient.so.10,
but not 9. So what gives?

What I did was delete the /etc/rc.d/init.d/mysqld.server script, and
replaced it with
the one in /usr/local/mysql-3.23.38/libexec/...  then chmod 775 the script,
and  restart mysql
(killall "mysqld" and then "/etc/rc.d/init.d/mysql.newscript start"). It
started up just fine.

What I still can't figure out is, if I telnet in, then "su -", it looks for
libmysqlclient.so.9
again if I run mysql from the command line. If I "su root", it runs fine.
Must be taking
execution path from shell variable?

Scott Moore
http://www.akamine-moore.com