On Jul 21, 2009, at 3:27 PM, Johnny Withers wrote:

MySQL is unable to use your index when you use IN and/or OR on yoru column.

Is this really true?

I'm reading "High Performance MySQL 2nd ed." these days and specifically got the impression that using IN will allow usage of the index. The below quote is from the book, and the "multiple equality condition" refers to an IN (...) expression.

"... we draw a distinction between ranges of values and multiple equality conditions.The second query is a multiple equality condition, in our terminology. We’re not just being picky: these two kinds of index accesses perform differently. The range condition makes MySQL ignore any further columns in the index, but the multiple equality condition doesn’t have that limitation."