Yes, there are plenty of smart ways to deal with this.  Each of them
is somewhat dependant on whatever general purpose programming language
you are using and/or the environment you are working in.

In PHP we have mysql_escape_string() or PDO, in perl and Java, among
others, prepared statements are generally used.  python appears to use
prepared statements under the covers.. it provides an similar
facility, at any rate.

What are you working in?

 - michael dykman

--