Ah! Thanks - I see. 5.1.39
Actually I did look i the manual, but failed to note the differences between <
5.1.29  and >  5.1.29
I was using the syntax for < 5.1.29.

Now I am using the correct syntax in /etc/my.cnf
$ grep general /etc/my.cnf
general_log=1
general_log_file=/var/log/mysql/mysql.log

Now I get a log file, but no actual sql commands appear within.
$ tail -f mysql.log
/usr/sbin/mysqld, Version: 5.1.39-community-log (MySQL Community Server (GPL)).
started with:
Tcp port: 3306  Unix socket: /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
Time                 Id Command    Argument

Cant see anything relevant in the manual.

Strange(?)

Syd
++++++++++++++++++
Sorry can't remember what version you said you were using; if you have a
version prior to 5.1.29 to log all queries enter the following in the
[mysqld] section of your my.cnf

log = /path/to/logfile/filename.log

Remembering that the path you specify must be writeable by the server.

If you are on version 5.1.29 or later use

general_log=1
general_log_file=/path/to/logfile/filename.log

If you have a very busy server the general query log will get very very
big very quickly. Its best to only enable the general query log for
identifying problems and performance tuning.

Take a look at the manual(http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/)! You
can get answers to questions like this so much quicker from there.

Regards

John Daisley