Jan,

> I often need a pattern where one record refers to the one "before" it, based on the order of some field.

Some ideas under "Sequences" at http://www.artfulsoftware.com/infotree/queries.php.

PB

----

Jan Steinman wrote:
I often need a pattern where one record refers to the one "before" it, based on the order of some field.

For example, a vehicle log, in which the field "odometer" is the current odometer reading upon an event, such as a trip completion, fueling, maintenance, etc. Very often one wants to calculate the difference in odometer readings, which means accessing two consecutive records, when ordered by odometer. I currently put both readings in one record, which seems an unnecessary de-normalization and extra work in data entry.

Another example: an amortization database, where the value of the loan principle depends on the payment, interest rate, but also the previous record's principle. Someone makes a payment on a loan, which needs to be entered along with the declining balance, but that depends on the balance of the previous record.

Quite often, I see this pattern in time series data. Data is logged and time-stamped, and many queries depend on the difference in time-stamps between two consecutive records. For example, milk production records: with milk goats, if milking is early or late, the amount of milk is lower or higher. I need to do an analysis of short-term milk production, which means daily production needs to be normalized for variations in time, which means I need to refer to time and volume deltas from two consecutive records, ordered by time.

Are there some good techniques for dealing with this common pattern in SQL? Or do I need to do it all with two queries and a programming language?

Pointers to good web references are welcome. I have googled quite a bit, and haven't turned up anything apropos.

Thanks for whatever insight you can offer!

:::: A virus has marked this email as being virus-free! ::::
:::: Jan Steinman http://www.VeggieVanGogh.com ::::