First off, for 4.000.000.000 records at 1867 byte per record, you're gonna
need more storage than that (over 1.6 terabyte if I did my maths right) ,
unless you're using compressed tables - then your requirements will strongly
depend on the actual data: text may easily compress to a factor ten, images
(blobs?) almost not. Compressed tables will also speed up your I/O, in
exchange for some more CPU load.

On such a dataset, table scans are going to be geologically slow, so yes,
good indexes will be your saviour :-)

For speed, I'd also recommend that you get a RAID-10 setup. Go for a maximum
amount of spindles, too - some form of SAN or locally-attached storage boxes
with (relatively) small-capacity high-rpm disks.