Good day guys (and girls if any)

                I am constantly in a position where variables on a
production mysql database needs to be changed.

                The database runs a 24/7 system and thus to reboot is not
preffered and should be the absolute last resort.

                How can I set variables to be effective immediately?   ( I
am still a junior in mysql dba and still learning)

                If I set these will it still be effective should the
database be restarted somewhere in the future?

                Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards