Hi Baron,

> I'm the primary author of Maatkit.

Awkward... :-)

> What can I say -- you could go buy a commercial off-the-shelf tool
> and believe the song and dance they feed you about the tool
> being perfect.

There's not a single commercial software solution in our toolbox. We're
big fans of CentOS, LVS, heartbeat, ldirectord, tomcat, MySQL, Xen,
pureFTP, and more. We've been happy with the performance and reliability
of all of our FOSS tools. I'm definitely not a Kool-aid drinker when it
comes to commercial product marketing.

> At least with Maatkit, you get transparency.  We make a concerted
> effort to update the RISKS section of each tool with each release, so
there
> is full disclosure.

Fair enough, but I still found the warnings a little too scary. A more
complete explanation of the exact nature of the bugs and the exact
circumstances under which I should be concerned about triggering them
would have increased my comfort level.

> I think Maatkit is by far the best solution for live master-slave sync

> in most real-world situations.

We'll give it another look.

--
Eric Robinson

Disclaimer - December 9, 2009
solely for Baron Schwartz,Gavin Towey,Tom Worster,my...@lists.mysql.com. If you
are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute, copy or
alter this email. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely
those of the author and might not represent those of . Warning: Although  has
taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email,
the company cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from
the use of this email or attachments.