I have MySQL version 5.0.84 on linux slackware 13.0 32-bit.

I am working with a relatively new API written in a programming
language with a small user base (newlisp). The newlisp API imports a
number of C API functions from the system MySQL shared object.

If I were to issue a count(*) query from my monitor
interface:
Example:
mysql> select count(*) from clients;
+----------+
| count(*) |
+----------+
|       16 |
+----------+

If "select count(*) from clients" is issued from the newlisp API, is
there a a C API function that would return '16'?

I have reviewed
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/c-api-functions.html
and haven't been enlightened so far.

I believe that I could parse the results as a string, but
if I could access count(*) as a C function, it would be
more efficient.

I have a background in C.
thanks
--