any idea how to really purge my Vista machine for a really fresh start?

How about installing a different OS :-) , or failing that a different version of Windows?

I'm sorry, we declined to install Vista on any of our boxes. We've had no trouble upgrading to 5.5 from 5.1 on other Windows boxes.

PB

-----