> Is it ALWAYS possible to fabricate a query/schema in
> such a way that MySQL ALWAYS uses the ideal

No. Optimisation is better in 5.6 than in 5.0, though.

Did you try adding multi-column indexes to cover the join and the order by clause?

> 'Using where' extra -- you just have to keep at it?
> Or is it the case that sometimes you're just S.O.L

I don't know a general answer to that question. To figure out the answer in a particular case, I usually have to see the Create Table statements, see how the query performs with representative data, and experiment with various index setups.

PB

-----