I have been struggling with installing MySQL 5.5.17 on a Mac running OS
10.7. My machine had 5.5.15 on it.

I keep getting user denied access messages (Error 1045).   I thought at
first it was a matter of a password not being flushed from a previous
installation and went through repeated install and uninstall routines, using
the instructions by Rob Allen at
(http://akrabat.com/computing/uninstalling-mysql-on-mac-os-x-leopard/)
<about:blank> .

I also followed various instructions in the MySQL documentation for
resetting lost passwords. But the results persuaded me that the problem is
something else:  the installer does not create a root account or a mysql
account in the user table. Thus the update command for resetting the root
password executes correctly but update 0 rows. And logging in with the
skip-grants-table lets you address some queries to the mysql user table.

"Select count(user) from user" returns 0, as does "select user, password
from user." So it appears that the installation routine (from the disk
image) does not populate the user table with accounts from which you could
then perform other activities.

Does anybody have any idea what is going on here or what I could be doing
wrong?