On 2/9/2012 8:58 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:

Am 09.02.2012 14:55, schrieb william drescher:
On 2/9/2012 8:22 AM, Johnny Withers wrote:
Update table set mydate=now() where mydate='0000-00-00'; should do it.
  can't do that because the record is selected by other criteria.

so explain the criteria, show us the query

usually you do exatcly the same WHERE as for the select and add
and mydate='0000-00-00'

The query was to find a record by a unique ID, then update last access to now, and then update first access date to curdate() if it is 0000-00-00.

So, I obviously can not select the record based on first access as I need to update it regardless of the value of first access.

IF() works like a charm.

bill