----- Original Message -----

> From: "Martin Gainty" <mgai...@hotmail.com>
> Subject: Proxy / connected failover question

> MG>how could a proxy server re-route a downed DB connection to another
> server?
> MG>does Proxy have a heartbeat on 3306 and reroute somewhere else when 3306
> connection goes silent?
> MG>exactly how does either MySQLProxy or HAProxy handle these detection and
> reroute scenarios?

Unlike a router, a proxy does not route packets; it acts as terminator for the
client connection, interprets the question and then asks that same question on
a separate connection to the actual server that it initiated itself.

Thus, if the proxy notices that the backend is gone, it can simply establish a
new connection to the same or a different host without having to break the
connection with the client.

It's a simple idea that works extremely well with stateless protocols like
HTTP; but for a stateful procotol like MySQL it's rather more complex :-)

Thank you all for the input, I'll have a look at your suggestions and report
back with what I came up with :-)

/johan