On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 03:42:28AM -0700, Van wrote:
> Mario Witte wrote:
> Memory or motherboard. How many sticks of RAM do you have in the machine?  Are
> they the same speed (p100/p133, etc.)?  What kind of motherboard? Is updatedb
> running at this time?  (might be a hard-drive croaking while trying to update
> the locate database).....
There are 2x256 MB and 2x128MB sticks in there, all at a spped of 133.
Please don't ask me what kind of motherboard we're running in there, but
that shouldn't be a problem.

Updatedb is running around midnight, but I just found out that
cron.hourly could be a problem in there as we experienced another crash
tonight which was at 1:59, the crash yesterday occured at 4:59. Always
around the full hour. I've tried and disabled cron.hourly for now,
hoping it will help. Seems like it wasn't a problem of mysql, it was
just mysql which was killed and thus appeared in the kerne ltrace or
something.

> Seems your machine might have a wrong hardware component somewhere.  I'd check
> it out if it's a production machine.
We sure will, but the system is located about 500 kilometers from where
our bureau is, so I hope it will stay alive at least over the weekend
:-)

> mysqld can't run as the only service.  You can't run anything without initd.
Ok, you won! ;)

Thanks for your fast help,
With regards,
--