I have some experience with MySQL on MacOS X but that was with a pretty GUI
installer.

I am now trying to get MySQL installed on Redhat 7.0.  I download the client
and server versions and followed the install procedures.

The problem I am having is with mysqladmin.  The docs state that you need to
set the root password with 'mysqladmin -u root -p password'.  I enter this
command, I am then prompted for the new password and then I get a 'could not
connect to local host' error.

I think I am missing something here.  To make matters worse my Linux
experience is pretty limited as well.

Thanks,

Dan