Dan Tappin writes:

> I tried that but it came back with a 'mysqld is running already' error.

/me silently curses the bad quoting habits that Lookout causes, but
knows what the thread was about, and so _please disregard_ this
sentence unless you know what I'm talking about.

Now where was I? Oh, yes, good, the server is running. I think I know
what's wrong. As I recall, you typed "mysqladmin -uroot -p password",
but then you will be prompted for the old password, and if there is
already a password and you enter it, you'll get an error because of
a missing argument. The correct thing to type is this:
mysqladmin -uroot password=<your new password>

If you're slightly (or more) paranoid and don't want the password
to be shown to the rest of the users for a brief moment (and to
be stored in your shell history), you could start the mysql
client ("mysql -uroot") and set the password from there, although
it'll still be stored in your .mysqlhistory (or whatever it's called).

The bottom line: I don't know of any way to be prompted for your new
password. There should be some way to avoid having to enter it on the
command line. Does anyone on this list know how?

> Side Question:  How can I allow a SSH connection from a remote machine?

You need to install some SSH daemon. I bet there is one or two to
choose from on the Redhat CDs. Have a look at what RPMs are named
something that starts with ssh or SSH or something like that.

//C

--
 Carl Troein - Círdan / Istari-PixelMagic - UIN 16353280
 [EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://pixelmagic.dyndns.org/~cirdan/