Rich,

>011116 13:38:46  mysqld restarted
>InnoDB: Database was not shut down normally.
>InnoDB: Starting recovery from log files...
>InnoDB: Starting log scan based on checkpoint at
>InnoDB: log sequence number 5 778892274
>InnoDB: Doing recovery: scanned up to log sequence number 5 778957312
>InnoDB: Doing recovery: scanned up to log sequence number 5 779022848
>InnoDB: Doing recovery: scanned up to log sequence number 5 779088384
>InnoDB: Doing recovery: scanned up to log sequence number 5 779153920
>InnoDB: Doing recovery: scanned up to log sequence number 5 779219456
>
>everything is running fine then all of a sudden mysql just decides to
>restart itself without being told. InnoDb then goes off and recovers from
>whatever happened.
>
>Does ANYONE have any idea why it might be doing this?

I assume you are using the safe_mysqld wrapper which retstarts mysqld if it
crashes or shuts down?

If you look at the .err file of mysqld, do you see any stack traces or other
info about the crashes?

Earlier today you wrote that a 'crashing Perl query' makes the database
extremely slow. Could you determine exactly what query crashes the server?
What does that query return as an error?

Run CHECK TABLE on your tables to check if they are corrupt.

>Plz Help,
>
>Rich

Regards,

Heikki