Hi Ashley,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ashley M. Kirchner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>     While compiling MySQL+Gemini-3.23.41 i received the following error:
> [...]
>     System is RedHat 7.1, with their GCC 2.96-85

No idea about Gemini, but we do have an advisory against using gcc 2.96 on
RedHat to compile MySQL, it appears to produce faulty code. We currently use
gcc 2.95 to create our binary distribution.

> While I'm on the subject, does BDB tables provide the same type of
> locking that Gemini does?  Is there any reason to favor Gemini over BDB?

BDB locks on page level. You'll want to have a look at the InnoDB tables,
which provide row-level locking and many other features. See
http://www.mysql.com/doc/I/n/InnoDB.html

If you're just starting out, I would recommend you grab the latest version
from www.mysql.com (3.23.44 or 4.0.0 at the time of writing this message, but
3.23.45 will be out soon).
Also, only compile from source if you really need to, otherwise it is
recommended to use the binaries as provided by MySQL AB which have been
compiled with optimal settings, and tested with our test suite before release.

Regards,
Arjen.

--
MySQL Training Worldwide, http://www.mysql.com/training/