Rich,

>I have a system with 1gig of ram and i am trying to get the innodb buffer to
>be about 750megs. Whenever I set the value in the database config file it
>won't start with an error along the lines of,
>
>011207 21:02:42  mysqld started
>InnoDB: Fatal error: cannot allocate 67108864 bytes of
>InnoDB: memory with malloc! Total allocated memory
>InnoDB: by InnoDB 484667027 bytes. Operating system errno: 12
>InnoDB: Cannot continue operation!
>InnoDB: Check if you should increase the swap file or
>InnoDB: ulimits of your operating system.
>011207 21:02:44  mysqld ended
>
>I have 1gig of ram and a 1gig swap file.
>Any ideas why it won't assign more than roughly 450megs of memory to mysql?

do you have other big processes running at the same time in your computer?

If not, then this is probably a problem in Linux or glibc. Some Linux
versions seem to refuse to allocate big amounts of memory. You could try
another Linux kernel version, or write to your Linux vendor about the problem.

>Rich

Regards,

Heikki
http://www.innodb.com