Hi!

I do not understand how replacing just the executable mysqld can make your
'mysql start' (or is it 'mysql.server start'?) script or safe_mysqld script
to search the executable from a different directory than it did before. Are
you sure you did not change anything else in the system?

Anyway, it is best that you make a new installation of MySQL-Max. The
version 3.23.38 is very old and many bugs have been fixed to .46.

>From the manual I found a useful page:

http://www.mysql.com/doc/A/u/Automatic_start.html

There has been no change in MySQL table formats since .38, hence your
database should run ok with .46 -Max too. For MyISAM type tables MySQL and
MySQL -Max are equivalent.

But if you have somehow a nonstandard installation, or have edited the
startup scripts, better be prepared for some problems in starting up mysqld.

Regards,

Heikki
http://www.innodb.com
--
Order commercial MySQL/InnoDB support at https://order.mysql.com/

Hello,

We're needing to use MySQL-Max because we need the functionality provided by
InnoDB.

According to InnoDB's web site, all I have to do is download the tarball and
replace
the /usr/sbin/mysqld with the mysqld in the tarball.

I tried that on SuSE and I had to install a few other things and make a few
symlinks
too, but it did eventually work quite fine. However I was just trying that
method
on a redhat 7.0 production box and it doesn't work because when I call
/etc/init.d/mysql
start it says it can't find /usr/local/mysql/libexec/mysqld which is
interesting,
because I can't find any "libexec" directories associated with mysql on any
of my
linux boxes, no matter what distro.

Anyway (unless someone has an answer to the libexec problem), I think I'm
going
to need to upgrade my whole MySQL version to a full MySQL-Max installation.
Currently
we're running MySQL-3.23.38-1 from an RPM from mysql.com.

Our problem is that we are already using quite a few databases in our
current mysql
and we need to know _before_ we upgrade exactly what's going to happen to
the databases
we already have.

Will MySQL-Max  just start working with them without a hitch, or do we need
to go
through some sort of initialization routine? (note: we're not trying to
convert
our current DBs to InnoDB< that is a whole separate issue. We just want to
know
what we'll need to to be able to continue accessing the data once we install
MySQL-Max.

Is it perfectly compatible with MySQL(non-max)? Just backup, install and
/etc/init.d/mysql
start?

Or is there more to it then that?

Thanks a lot.