Hi Everyone,

I'm newbie with MySQL with some programming experience.
I'm about to implement an Internet shop. I would like to serve my
customers at a high level with, amongst other features, making sure that
every successful order will really be shipped due to a stock availability
check at order taking.
The database related steps I am planning to use are:
        1. checking stock of item X (select)
        2. recording order (insert)
        3. modifying stock if item X (update)

With not using transaction or lock tables the available stock can be
changed by others between Step 1 and 2 or Step 2 and 3.
Which solution supports better such a scenario in MySQL? Which is used by
you?

Thank you for your help.

Regards,
Tibor