> somewhat that exceptions aren't thread-safe in egcs.  Still, it would be
> worth trying out with gcc 2.95.x or gcc 3.x.

I used 2.95.3 to compile mysql, it is fine, just because it accepts those
flags. I didnot try to switch those flags off and compile.

> > I am using orcc to compile mysql. Can you tell me how gcc improve speed
> > via avoiding exceptions? I mean if the source code contains throw-catch
> > stuff, how gcc avoid that? And why throw-catch stuff is not performance
>
> If the source code contains throw-catch, you are stuck.  You _must_ turn on
> exception handling in order to use them.
>
> However, many people write code without any exceptions at all and in this
> case, the compiler can save some effort by not supporting them.

Will this improve the performance? I mean just by not supporting them, no
optimization to the code?

> You may want to try out Intel's C++ compiler for Linux if you are using an
> ix86 CPU.  We used it here at work and it resulted in code that ran more than
> twice as fast, though we have never tried it with MySQL.

I wonder whether Intel's C++ compiler accept those flags. Are those flags
included in some standards? My problem is that I don't want the mysqld
"crashed randomly" when I do benchmarking on it.

> And greetings to a fellow UofA student (though I've now graduated).

thank you. I am honored.

--
                Regards

                                          Peng