Ronald,

I ran into exactly the same problem you describe after compiling a new MySQL
v4...

I think I can offer you an unsophisticated workaround (read: HACK!), but I'd
defer to others on the list who know much more about this than I do...

Your problem is because your new compile (or binary install) is expecting
the layout previously used by mySQL v3.  Until you sort this out, the quick
fix is to make a link to libmysqlclient.so from where php 'thinks' it is.
On SuSE SPARC, these directories work; you should
interpret/infer/accommodate as required for your architecture:

Create these links:
/usr/lib/libmysqlclient.so.10  -> /usr/local/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient.so.11
/usr/lib/libmysqlclient.so.11  -> /usr/local/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient.so.11

This should make BOTH MySQL and PHP happy, but does not fix the problem with
Apache - you may run into - about mod_auth_mysql.

If anyone can offer us more, please do!

LP