Hi Rebecca,

On Mon, 2002-03-04 at 05:19, Rebecca Hall wrote:
> I was recently assigned to finish a project started by a previous employee.
> The objective is to collect data from numerous geographic locations, and
> then analyze the data at the central office.  The goal is to look for
> combined corporate trends and present statistical results and selected data
> in a web browser client.  So far so good.
>
> The prototype that was provided, using MySQL and PHP, has four separate
> sample location databases with hard-coded queries to correlate information
> from different locations.  My problem is that I will have to expand this
> prototype to production use, and with the "one database per location"
> philosophy, I could end up with dozens, if not hundreds, of separate
> databases to correlate.
>
> Does anyone know of an advantage of using this many databases?  Opinions?

I suppose this would depend on the update procedure.

If the tables are MyISAM type, you could use MERGE tables to have the
MySQL server 'combine' all the separate tables that belong together,
provided their structure is identical.
Then you can do your analysis queries on the one merge table.

Regards,
Arjen.

--
MySQL Training in Brisbane: 18-22 March, http://www.mysql.com/training/