If you are running RH7.2, start your GUI and go to System / Service Manager.
Locate mysqld, and make sure it is checked to automatically start on bootup,
then save your settings, and click the start button.

----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2002 6:28 AM
Subject: Fresh RedHat 7.2 install

Hello,

This is a newbie question for a reason...I am.  I've installed the lastest
RPM for mysql on a brand new redhat 7.2 installation.  When I try to run
mysqladmin to set my new password (or for any reason actually, even to see
the version number) I get the following error.

I am not able to update the database either.

As this is a fresh install, I'm thinking somebody probably has a quick-fix
for me (maybe something about the OS pops into your head).  I haven't seen
this addressed in the manual pages.

mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)'
Check that mysqld is running and that the socket:
'/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' exists!

Thank You,
Corey Baldwin