> Yes, the concepts he presents are in generic SQL.  I've used them in 2
> different systems (menus and security) and they work fine. (NOTE: You DO
> have to write your own code.)  ;)

Ok, I picked up the book yesterday.  It has alot of really good information.
However, with regards to the concepts presented in the chapters you pointed
out, it doesn't appear to be very useful to me.
What the author suggests is fine for data (and a tree) that is relatively static.
However, my tree is going to be dynamic.  Users will be able to come online
and define the relationship between records.  Using the example I gave yester-
day, the fields might look like this:

fieldName       dependantOn

"joe"               "monster"
"bob"              "joe"
"briggs"
"monster"       "briggs"
"vision"

today, but might look like this:

fieldName       dependantOn

"joe"
"bob"              "monster"
"briggs"
"monster"
"vision"          "bob"

tomorrow
The author suggests using numbers in two columns (lft, rgt) to represent
the lower and upper limits with regards to the boundries of each node.
Unfortunately, I cannot do that for two reasons:

* As mentioned above, my tree structure is dynamic.
* My "keys" (fieldName, dependantOn) are word values, not numeric.  I do
not believe this matters in some cases, but I don't think that mySQL can
use the "BETWEEN" command on alpha values.

So basically, I'm back at square one where I'm not sure where I can go to
find the information I need with regards to how to traverse my dynamic tree
with one query.  Purchasing the book you suggested was far from a waste
as it contains a great deal of very useful information.  Sadly, it didn't help
me much in my case.

Any other suggestions?

Chris