Hendrik,

----- Original Message -----
From: ""Hendrik Schalekamp"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: mailing.database.mysql
Sent: Tuesday, June 18, 2002 11:12 AM
Subject: Backing up InnoDb

(http://www.innodb.com/hotbackup.html)
> for a MySql InnoDb based database and was hoping somebody could
> help me with a few questions about the utility and InnoDb:
>
> 1. Firstly I'd like to know how mature the hotbackup utility is. The
> implementation I require it for could become quite intensive and is a
> critical piece of functionality of the system, so I need to know that
> the utility is stable. (Has anybody used it and what are your
> experiences of it?)

about 50 people have tested ibbackup. So far no critical bugs have been
reported, but caution is still warranted. You should run

ibbackup --restore yourbackupmy.cnf

on your backups regularly so that you see they can be restored. Then start
mysqld on the restored backup

mysqld --defaults-file=yourbackupmy.cnf

and run

mysql --defaults-file=yourbackupmy.cnf

mysql> CHECK TABLE ...

on some of the tables so that you see they are ok. You should set

[mysqld]
port=xxx
socket=yyy
[mysql]
port=xxx
socket=yyy

in yourbackupmy.cnf so that the mysqld started on the backup does not
disturb your real MySQL server.

> 2. The hotbackup utility only backs up the data of our InnoDb database
> and not the .frm files containing the table definitions. Is there any
> way that you can lock the table definitions while still allowing for
> data insertion, deletion and modification? I basically want to ensure
> that the .frm files aren't modified while I back up the data.

I think not. An eventual solution to this inconvenience is that also the
.frm files will be stored inside ibdata files. That will remove also the
other problems with not in-sync .frm files. The fundamental problem here is
that .frm files are not managed transactionally. That can be fixed by
storing them inside InnoDB.

If you make the tar file of the .frm files before the backup and immediately
after the backup, usually the tar file taken AFTER the backup is the right
one, because it does not take many seconds to back up very small (8 kB) .frm
files.

You can compare the tar file taken before the backup and after that, and if
they are identical, then you know for sure they are up-to-date. If not, you
have to use the mysqlbinlog tool to look at the binlog generated immediately
after ibbackup finished its work. If ls -l  reports that a .frm file was
written later than the time ibbackup finished its work, then you may have to
reconstruct the right .frm file manually using the binlog and the tar file
taken before the backup.

Hmm... I will add timestamps to the printout of ibbackup in version 1.03 so
that you do not need to look at the binlog to determine the snapshot
timepoint of the hot backup. Also, --restore will print the binlog file
position of the snapshot so that you do not need to run mysqld to get that
information.

> 3. If anybody can give me specifics on what kind of queries and actions
> will modify the .frm files that would also be useful. (I'm not all that
> worried about ALTER TABLE and CREATE TABLE as the system is not dynamic
> on that level, but DROP TABLE might be an issue.)

ALTER TABLE, CREATE INDEX, DROP INDEX, CREATE TABLE, and DROP TABLE are the
SQL commands, I think.

> Regards,
> -H

Best regards,

Heikki Tuuri
Innobase Oy
---
InnoDB - transactions, row level locking, and foreign key support for MySQL
See http://www.innodb.com, download MySQL-Max from http://www.mysql.com