Hi Mary,

I am not specially against or pro MySQL, Microsoft SQL
Server, Oracle or any other database. Teams make their
choices based on the project needs such as budget (is
your team ready to spend thousands of dollars on
Oracle and marry that corporation forever?),
deployment (do you want your product with Oracle's
price tag attached to it?), functionality: does the
database server provide a viable solution technically
speaking?, etc, etc. So it is not an issue of good or
bad.

But regardless of all that, what we should have, at
least, is a great respect for people that has been
working so hard to provide an affordable and viable
alternative to the database server giants. I don't
think that throwing those numbers without any other
explanations about your test environments, SQL,
tables, etc is a good practice. Do you think that you
always get what you pay when you spend thousand of
dollars in software and services without leaving you
any other choices?

I know that you did not put bad intentions behind your
comment but should be more careful and precise.

Whoever is interested on some benchmarks can go to:
http://www.mysql.com/information/benchmarks.html

There is an interesting article comparing Ms-SQL,
Oracle, DB2 and MySQL in:

Sincerely,

Francisco

--- Mary Stickney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have been doing speed tests....  the same query
> ran on MYSQL took 45
> minutes
> on MS-SQL  it took 11 minutes......
>
> yes you do get what you pay for....