From: Mertens Bram [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 31 August 2002 17:20
To: mysql mailing list
Subject: Re: convert ms access mdb file to file that can be imported in
mysql

On Sat, 2002-08-31 at 17:59, David Lloyd wrote:
> ( mysql, query )
> You have missed his point. He's asking Microsoft to support MySQL as a
> native backend.

I'm sorry if I was unclear, I'll try to clarify.
I created a db under Windows using Access, I backed the .mdb files up.
I have upgraded my OS to Linux. :) And my dbm to mysql, I do have  Win98
installed on a separate partition but I haven't reinstalled Access or
any other Office program and would like to know if it is possible to use
a LINUX tool or program (I don't mind installing software, I just would
prefer not to install any software under Windows) to convert the .mdb
file into something I can use under Linux as input for my mysql db.

> I'd suggest the original asker rephrase his question into something a
> little more useful...

Is this more useful?

And an additional question: if the files can only be read/altered under
Windows wouldn't it be easier to install Access and export the data to a
text-file? I do believe Access offered that possibility,or doesn't it?

BTW the Office version I could install is 2000.

<rant>
And finally: I wouldn't want Microsoft to support mysql in any way, they
have a bad habit of 'improving' other software. In the process rendering
it useless for everybody not willing to upgrade to the last version of
their OS.
</rant>

so again, thanks in advance for suggestions!

Regards,
--
 #  Mertens Bram "M8ram" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>   Linux User #249103  #
 #  Red Hat Linux 7.3  KDE 3.0.0-10  kernel 2.4.18-3  i686  128MB RAM  #