Hi Frank-

I'm new to the MySQL world, and I am also a DBA with an Oracle background.
This was a surprise to me as well. However, the only solution that I know
of is to encapsulate your SELECT elements in a Concat() function. So, your
SQL statement would be:

select concat(numer, text)
from table;

If anyone else knows of another way to concatenate using MySQL, I'd be
interested to hear their solution.

Rob