From: Robert H.R. Restad [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 06 October 2002 14:36
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Performance Question.

I am writing a serverside application in Java which needs to query/search
200 000 rows and update affected records once every 2 minutes.

As performance/speed is of importance here -  and this Table only contains
5-10 Columns of Integer numbers, I figured that using a HEAP type of table
would be the fastest.. (right?)

The imaginary system this will run on, is a Dual CPU P4/1,5Ghz or similar
with 2Gb RAM.

Now, what I am curious to find out is... Does this amount of
searches/queries sound like 'unreasonable' for MySQL and/or HEAP tables for
the current system configuration?

As I've read about MySQL performance, it appears to me that the real drag is
usually disk-search. Now, the size of the database in my case is not an
issue, it will be constantly 200 000 rows, the only thing that will change
is the integer numbers stored. As far as I am concerned, that should mean I
would never need to access the disk at all (apart from when dumping this
table from memory to disk for the purpose of backups, of course)...

Anyone got a good tip for how to solve this issue to make sure I dont end up
with a database bottleneck in the system...

Cheers
Rob.