Nicholas,

----- Original Message -----
From: ""Nicholas Gaugler"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: mailing.database.mysql
Sent: Wednesday, October 09, 2002 8:22 AM
Subject: mysqld Threads with Innobase

> I know it's not very important in normal day to day operations, but does
> anyone know what each thread does within mysqld with Innobase installed?
> It'd be nice to know what Innobase is doing when a process is pinned at
100%
> of the cpu..if it's doing cleanup from a huge update, etc.

/usr/local/sqldrive/mysql-4.0.4-beta/bin/mysqld --defaults-extra-file=/usr/l
> ocal/sqldrive/mysql-4.0.4-beta/data/my
>  1682 ttyp1    S      0:00

/usr/local/sqldrive/mysql-4.0.4-beta/bin/mysqld --defaults-extra-file=/usr/l
> ocal/sqldrive/mysql-4.0.4-beta/data/my

only one thread, the main thread, does background cleaning operations. You
can see from SHOW INNODB STATUS what the main thread is currently doing.

It is a good idea to tell the id of that thread in the printout of SHOW
INNODB STATUS. I will add it to 4.0.5.

In your case there are lots of threads eating up 100 % of CPU. If the
performance is very slow, this looks like yet another case of Linux 'thread
thrashing' which is plaguing both MyISAM and InnoDB tables under certain
loads. It is a clear performace bug in Linux or glibc, and we are working to
find a fix or a workaround to that problem.

You can try setting

set-variable = innodb_thread_concurrency = 1

in my.cnf to remove the thread thrashing. That helps in some cases

> Thanks!
>
> nickg

Best regards,

Heikki Tuuri
Innobase Oy
---
InnoDB - transactions, hot backup, and foreign key support for MySQL
See http://www.innodb.com, download MySQL-Max from http://www.mysql.com

sql query