From: Alan McDonald [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 16 October 2002 13:45
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Inserting Master and Details records

My task is to insert a new master record and several detail records within
the one transaction.

There is a foreign key on the detail table set to the unique key (autoinc)
field of the master table.

Inserting a master record, even with a special field value so that it can be
quickly returned with the newly created primary key, so that I might then
insert the detail records with this primary key as their foreign key, does
not seem very reliable to me (as suggested a few days ago).

There must be a more reliable way to do this under heavy traffic. I'm afraid
I'm used to being able to grab a generator ID and using that (guaranteed to
be unique) for both the primary key of the master and the foreign key of the
detail records. Surely there is a good method for use with MySQL....?

Alan McDonald
http://www.meta.com.au