From: Bogdan TARU [mailto:bgd@;icomag.de]
Sent: 07 November 2002 10:35
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: MySQL CPU usage skyrocketing

        Hi,

I am running MySQL 3.23.41 on a FreeBSD 4.4, and I experience very high
loads of the machine, without any apparent reason. We have a new project
using this MySQL engine, with lots of inserts/deletes. But it happens that
in the mornings, when nobody makes any kind of access to the database, we
still have a MySQL daemon eating up 99% of CPU. If I log in as 'root' to
the mysql server and make a 'show processlist', the only process in the
'query' command is mine ('show processlist'), all the others are in sleep
mode (with NULL info). Is there any periodic maintanance/optimization work
that the mysql server is doing? If so, why does it take so long? Can I
schedule it sometimes during the night (and if so, how?)

 Thanks,
 bogdan

iCom Media AG
Kirchweg 36