I've done a specialized, high-volume FIFO queue implementation using MySql that
performs extremely well - if your concern is speed I think you'll likely do fine.  Of
course, speed is relative to each solution - what kind of response time for
enqueue/deque operations do you require?  In my situation, we enqueue in less than 1
ms on average and dequeue speed depends somewhat on queue depth (but it's not much
different).

regards,
Rick