On Thu, 7 Nov 2002, Chris Raymer wrote:

> Yes, that is what I meant.  Thank you for the clarification and response.
> Any ideas on maximizing *server* performance besides the usual db-specific
> optimizations like indexing?  If not too much trouble, could you give me a
> brief explanation why I would not see a performance boost if running
> separate servers on the same box?  My thoughts, if have one MySQL server
> running on one box with 10 databases, and 1 or 2 of those databases are
> getting the majority of the requests and tying up the processes, seems like
> the other 8 would suffer.

Hi!

You can think of server instances as you'd think of databases. If one server
instance (say, that with one or two heavily-loaded databases) gets a lot of
requests, the other server instances suffer.

With separate server instances you'll suffer from additional overhead.

If you require different server configuration for different databases, then
you'll have to install two or more separate server instances.

Hope this clears it. :-)

Regards,
Iikka

* Iikka Meriläinen                       *
* E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] *
* Vaala, Finland                         *