Hello.

On Mon 2003-01-20 at 09:26:18 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I'm brand-new to MySQL/PHP and to this list, spending an interesting
> holiday weekend devoted to trying to start learning the
> MySQL/PHP/Apached axis.
>
> There're three things that had me thinking of just giving it all up. But
> after a night's sleep I can't deny still wanting to learn how to design
> and lay out database-driven websites.
>
> But three problems prevent me from getting into the "meat" of some
> really great tutorials I found ...
>
> 1) I have administrator rights on the G3 PowerBook on which I'm doing
> this learning. But that's not the same as MySQL recognizing me with
> administrator acces, is it?

Correct. Operating system users have nothing in common with users
known to MySQL. The default administrator account for MySQL is called
"root" and has an empty password in the default install, usually.

> How can I make MySQL give me administrator access, so I can have
> permission to issue CREATE [and ALL other] commands. As it is now,
> when I try to create a table from the Terminal window--and I've
> decided I DO want to be able to do this in the Terminal also, not
> just thru a GUI--an error message appears, saying that access is
> denied.

As other already pointed out, you have to tell MySQL which user you
want to log in as. If you don't do so, it will try to use the name
with which you authenticated to your OS, which is not what you want in
this case. Use somthing like

  mysqladmin -uroot create your_database

> 2) If I create a table in phpMyAdmin, how do I plant it in, say,
> Dreamweaver--or, really, code it into the HTML Dreamweaver creates--so
> the table can be accessed, as part of a web page, from a browser?

You need some in-the-middle application that does the work. HTML is a
language to describe pages, not a programming language. MySQL is a
database, it knows nothing about webpages. You want to use a
programming language to read the data from MySQL and create the HTML
from the data you just read.

Some well known are Coldfusion, ASP, PHP, and so on. Or you can use a
general purpose programming language like Perl, C++, Java.

If you have no preference already, I suggest using PHP.

> 3) I got to the end of November 2002 Macworld magazine's "Serve It Up"
> article, to the sidebar "A Jump Start". I downloaded MacUser's .sit file
> for the 'start application' mentioned, unpacked it all, and put its
> folder in my SItes folder. I called it up thru my browse--using
> http://localhost/stephent/contacts/index.php--and was presented with a
> login page. I put in the username MySQL knows me by and a box drops down
> with 'Select a username' and three options: 'root', the one I'd put in,
> and a third name I use in my email address "stiano". Whichever I choose,
> the password I use with each of them, specified earlier in MySQL, is put
> in the second field on the login page. I press the 'Log in' button, and
> a Netscape alert appears. It says:
>
>    The information you have entered is to be sent over an unencryoted
> connection and could easily  be read by a third party.
>
>    Are you sure you want to continue sending this information?
>
> and a third line where I can check off to be alerted any time I submit
> unencrypted info.

Even if it might be obvious, just to be sure: This message has nothing
to do with your problem, but will appear any time you fill in a
formular. It is just a note to make you aware that the data
transmission is kind of unsafe.

> Plus two buttons. If I choose the default 'Continue', the process begins
> again, the box dropping with the three choices of user name.

If it simply appears again, it means either the username or the
password you entered is invalid.

> The only way to get out of this maddening circle is to choose
> 'Cancel', which of course just leaves me sitting on the login page
> without being logged in, and with the sample database nowhere to be
> seen.

I think the problem is that you try the authentication data for MySQL,
but you are accessing a web page. It is rather unusual that a web page
would require the password for the database directly, except for pages
that are meant to work on the database layout (like phpMyAdmin).

Have a look if the article you mentioned doesn't list some test
account or something like that.

HTH,

        Benjamin.

--