On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 09:57:06AM -0500, Luc Foisy wrote:

> I don't think it is possible at the moment, and pretty sure its not standard SQL but
>it would still be neat to have
>
> SELECT aField, COLUMN_IF( some_expression, 'afield2' AS 'aColumn' ) FROM aTable
>
> So in this example, if the expression was true, include that column in the result
>set, otherwise don't
> Sure this can be handled outside MySQL and just change the query on condition, just
>thought it would be nice

You can use a WHERE clause to get an effect like this.

  Something like:

  SELECT CASE expression
        WHEN 'value'
        THEN column
        ELSE 'default result'
        END
    FROM Table;

Cheers!
--
 Zak Greant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> | MySQL Advocate |  http://zak.fooassociates.com

MySQL Tip: Load the contents of a text file into a field
  mysql> INSERT table (field) VALUES (LOAD_FILE("/path/to/file"));
  See http://mysql.com/doc/en/String_functions.html for more details

Email signature rotated by Signify v1.10 <http://www.debian.org/>