Here's another way to do it which works well with multiple slaves:

http://mtop.sourceforge.net/utils/purge_replication_log

This script is run on the slave and the master.  When run on the slave it
updates a table in the master which keeps track of the log position for
each slave.  When run on the master, it finds the oldest logfile being
used and purges up to that one.